I think that we could challenge almost anyone for the longest car ride. We left my grandparent's in northern B.C., Canada Saturday morning around 10 and got home Sunday afternoon around 3. We only stopped for gas, dinner, and ice cream- that is a about 28 hours in the car. :D
Summary
My grandparents live in New Hazelton, B.C., Canada. They share about 300 acres of beautifully forrested land with moose, deer, black bears, and an occasional grizly. Almost every summer my family drives up to spend a couple of weeks with my grandparents. This summer Daniel and I and my brother Shannon and his wife Bre were able to travel up for 9 days of my families vacation. As part of our visit, we went deep sea fishing, watched bears in Alaska, hiked 10 k to some beautiful glacier lakes. It was pretty much a break from civilization and we had a blast! Here are a few pictures our our adventures.
Driving
Here is the second Canadian black bear we saw.
New Hazelton
New Hazelton is a small town in the middle of the wilderness. It is the home of multiple indian tribes, mountains, rivers, and streams, which makes for a lot of beautiful locations. We always take the time to visit a few of these.
One thing that we love about Canada is that huckleberries and blueberries grow wild. I love fresh huckleberrie pie and ice cream. Unfortunately, Daniel does not like berries, but he did a great job picking them.
Fishing!
This year my parents planned a day of chartered fishing in the ocean. We caught crab, a lot of salmon, so
me halibut and even a couple sharks! It was very fun. This is a picture of me and Dan and our halibut. I think that they are the ugliest fish ever. Both eyes are on one side of their head. Wierd. Dan caught the biggest salmon of the trip. It put up a good fight, but he won. :D He was very proud.
Bears...
We weren't the only ones who liked fishing for salmon. We drove 3 hours to a small tourist town called Hyder Alaska to watch a grizly bear fish for salmon. People come from all over the world to a creek called Fish Creek to watch the bears. The creek is ful
Blue Lakes Hike
The mountains near my grandparents have a hike to some blue glacier lakes. They are so beautiful! It is a 10k hike- but it is worth it.
3 comments:
WOW what a trip! Congrats Daniel on the huge Salmon, that is weird that Halibut have both eyes on one side of their head (I thought that was only in rivers where chemical dumping was going on)...and wow that car ride sounds intense. You'll have to tell me what in the world you did to stay awake and sane.
So incredibly jealous!!! It is absolutely beautiful up there! Halibut is my fav. to eat!
David and I were in Idaho Falls the other day by the river and I kept thinking about the bear and the baby buffalo. I don't know why I am so amazed by this story.
Post a Comment